What better way to celebrate Earth Day than tossing around some of these heart shaped wildflower seed bombs. They are easy (3 ingredients) and inexpensive and we’ve got two ways to package them. After you make a batch you simply toss the seed bombs anywhere there is dirt… along the side of the road, in an open field etc. The next time it rains they will dissolve, and before you know it there will be a little more beauty in the world.
So show the earth some love! They also make great gifts you can give with our free appropriate poem or tags below. Looking for more Earth Day ideas? Check out our DIY World Clock for Earth Day.
Seed Bomb Supplies
- Air Dry Clay There are several types. We used Crayola Model Magic which was very soft and light. If a harder clay is used a tiny bit of water may be needed .
- Potting Soil
- Wildflower seeds
- Flower Pot
- Tongue Depressor
- Poem & tag printout
- Mesh bags (optional choice) 4×6 size is about what is shown.
Seed Bomb Poem Download
Instructions for Seed Bombs
NOTE: If the clay is a firmer variety you will need to add in a few drops of water to help you knead and shape it.
- Roll a small 1 1/2″ ball of white air dry clay.
- Flatten it out and add a scant 1 tsp. of potting soil.
- Knead the soil into the clay.
- Flatten it again and add approximately 1/4 tsp. seeds.
- Knead the seeds into the clay.
- Shape into hearts and allow to dry.
Toss the seed bombs anywhere appropriate where there is dirt. The next time it rains it will dissolve.
We used a very soft air dry clay. If a harder clay is used add a few drops of water to help knead and shape it.