For you older folks this might take you back a few years. When I was little my dad showed me how to make a hankie bunny where you fold a cloth handkerchief into a little rabbit. They’re as cute as can be so I decided to show how to make them for those who might not know how. Then I took it a step further, as I tend to do, and created a very special poem to go with it. The secret “ingredient” so to speak, is a golden egg. (You’ll see why when you read the poem.) If you’d like more Easter ideas, check out our Burlap Bunny DIY and our Cute Frameable Floppy Eared Bunny Easter Decorations.
Easter Greetings Bunny Supplies
- 12″ Light Weight Handkerchief (we used these) or 12″very light weight fabric square.
- Gift tag with poem, free download
NOTE: A 12″ handkerchief is perfect for the smaller mini plastic eggs or some of the candy eggs. Ferrero gold foil chocolate eggs are PERFECT at about 1.5″ long. Walmart carries them. The handkerchief can be slightly adjusted once the bunny is made to fit a slightly larger or smaller egg. The key is that the egg needs to be gold which can be done in a variety of ways.
- Mini Plastic Eggs Fill with a a chocolate goodie then paint gold or wrap with gold foil.
- Foil covered candy eggs. Ferrero Eggs are the perfect size.
- Any candy egg that is the right size (approx 1.5″ give or take a little) can be covered in gold foil.
Egg Covering Options if Needed
- Rose Gold Foil (Amazon Prime) Gold Foil (less expensive Amazon add-on item)
- Gold foil 4″x4″ candy wrappers
- Gold Paint (Rust-Oleum is the best I’ve found for true metallic gold look)
Poem Tag Download
This video shows how to make the bunny.
I didn’t have my assistant for these photos so in reality you would do this with both hands.
Thanks for sharing!!! They are so cute!
Thanks for sharing!!
Easter is coming soon and our family intend to make something different for this year. I guess here it is. This DIY idea is very inventive. Thank you for sharing the detailed tutorial.