It’s hard to believe something that tastes this good is actually healthy. It can be made fat free also depending on how you cook it and what bread you use. But this healthy french toast will have you drooling. The coating is made with ripe bananas. It’s hot and gooey when done. If you choose to use a healthy oil in your pan the bread will lay flatter. Otherwise it tends to bunch up and stick together as you try to flip it, but still tastes great! I have 3 or 4 slices topped with blueberries, bananas then I top it with Agave Nectar or Maple Syrup, both which are very healthy.
Healthy French Toast Printable Recipe
Healthy French Toast with Banana Coating
Author: Nancy Rector
Gooey, totally healthy and delicious!
- 3-4 slices whole grain wheat bread
- 1 to 1½ large ripe banana.
- Scant ¼ c soy milk or water
- Small amount vanilla to taste.
- Cinnamon to taste. (optional)
- 1 TB flour (a whole grain based is best but I've used white in a pinch)
OPTIONAL EGG REPLACER (Not necessary but it gives the mixture more body.)
- 1 TB Ground flax seed OR 1 TB regular chia seeds soaked in 2 TB warm water for 10 min
- Banana slices
- Berries of choices (I thaw frozen blueberries for mine)
- Agave Nectar OR Real Maple syrup
- Good non-stick skillet
- FYI: Even with a good non-stick skillet the bread will still stick and bunch up due to the banana coating. (Unless you use oil.) That's fine. Just keep it as flat as you can, though it doesn't really matter. It will also NOT get brown due to the banana coating. It is meant to be gooey and hot.
- Put the banana in a blender with the soy milk or water, the flour, soaked seeds if you used them, vanilla and cinnamon, if you're using it. Blend till smooth. Place in a flat dish or bowl.
- Dip the bread into the batter. Lay in a hot no-stick pan. The heat can be fairly high and it won't burn.
- Let it heat for 2 to 3 min. and turn. Remember.. its gonna stick! Its ok.
- After bread is well heated use your spatula to help scrape the bread up from the pan including the coating that stuck.
- Place on a plate and add sliced bananas or berries if desired.
- Top lightly with agave syrup or Maple syrup both of which are healthy.
Your French Toast looks delicious!Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again soon.
Thanks Miz Helen. Ü