Make these gorgeous dragon eyes from flat clear filler marbles and use them for dragon jewelry or to carry around in a simple pouch. Adults and children alike love them. Best dragon craft ever! (Except for our Dragon Egg of course.) You can use regular paints to make these but I’ve listed the things I found that make them the easiest to create. View detailed photos and a video below!
NOTE: You can use regular paints with tiny thin brushes in place of the Sharpie paint pens. I tested both methods and preferred the pens as it was neater, easier and quicker to use.
- Flat Clear filler marbles in the size you want. Typical is 3/4″ inch.(You can get these at most Dollar Stores, Walmart etc.)
- Metallic Sharpie Paint Pens, Thin Or regular gold or silver metallic paint and a thin brush.
- Black Sharpie Paint Pen or Black Paint and a thin brush.
- Metallic acrylic paint for background. (I used green, purple and blue and purchased them at Walmart)
- Jewelry findings if desired to make necklaces, rings, pins etc.
The marbles come in various sizes. The typical size is about 3/4″.
These are the tools I found work the easiest. However you can use regular paints to make the pupils and outline them. It just takes a very fine brush and a steadier hand. The paint markers make it a lot easier.
Because the marbles act as a magnifying glass it’s important to make the pupil very thin and keep it away from the edges. Otherwise when it’s turned over it appears to run over the edge. Make sure to let it dry well before doing the metallic outlines.
If you’re using regular paint for your edging you can use a toothpick to make the dots. Allow your outlines and dots to dry before moving on.
Make sure to put the back color on a bit thick and keep it away from the edge. Allow to dry thoroughly before handling.
We put our Dragon Eyes into our No Sew Drawstring Pouch.