- Herbal treatments. Some herbal remedies can be very successful at helping you relax enough to drop off to sleep at night. Valerian root and chamomile are popular options, but you should check with your GP if you are on any medication or are pregnant, as herbal remedies are not always suitable for using with different medicatcations or for pregnant women. Other herbs you can try include passionflower, hops or lemon balm.
- CBD or THC. CBD oil is a very popular alternative treatment for pain management, anxiety and insomnia. CBD contains no THC, but if you live somewhere where THC is legal, this can also help with restless nights. Try a CBD oil or for THC, try something like edibles Canada.
- Acupuncture. Acupuncture is used in traditional Chinese medicine, and involves the insertion of very fine needles into the skin at acupuncture points to reduce tension. It can be used to improve sleep quality.
- Meditation. Muscle tension or anxious thoughts can really interfere with your ability to sleep. Relaxation techniques that aim to relax muscles and soothe the mind can be very helpful. Meditation or yoga just before you go to bed can be very relaxing and help to feel ready to fall asleep and sleep well. Try a guided meditation app that is aimed at encouraging deep and refreshing sleep.
- Exercise. Regular exercise can make it easier to fall asleep and to get good quality sleep. Whether you like yoga, jogging or an exercise class, consistent exercise is great for getting better sleep. However, try not to exercise too close to bedtime, as this might have the opposite effect and keep you awake instead! Just a note: walking is one of the BEST exercises you can do!
Insomnia can be caused by many things, and speaking to your Doctor about your sleep troubles can be well worth it. They may not be able to find the exact cause, but they may be able to give you peace of mind by eliminating potential health issues as the cause. Your Doctor might also be able to suggest other sources of help, such as referring to a counsellor or therapist, if you sleep troubles are caused by stress or anxiety. Good sleep will make you feel more alert, happier and generally much better. You will have more ability to concentrate too, which make your days much nicer!