We’ve decorated several types to show you the wide variety of ways you can make them. Horseshoes can be hung either direction.
Lucky Horseshoe Supplies
- A horseshoe OR foam board to make one
- Pattern below for foam board horseshoe
- Craft knife (for foam board)
- Hot glue gun
- Brown craft string (or whatever you wish to wrap your foam horseshoe)
- Other items to decorate your horseshoe with. Ribbon, buttons, wire, beads, artificial flowers, gems, paint, etc.
Pattern for foam board (pdf)
Foam horseshoes are perfect for wrapping with string, yarn etc.
To make foam horseshoes trace our pattern onto foam board and cut it out. Lightly sand edges if needed to help remove rough paper sticking out.
You can wrap your foam horseshoe with a variety of things. We found this type of twine is the easiest to work with. The rounded ends of the horseshoe must be covered with small pieces before wrapping. Keep your twine close together. We used hot glue to hold the twine at the ends. Decorate as desired!
For one of our metal horseshoes we painted it with chalkboard paint and then used a chalk marker to decorate it. For our gold dipped horseshoe we used gold nail polish. Our teal horseshoe was spray painted and we used embroidery thread to make a tassel and some wire and beads to adorn it. A few more ideas can be seen below!