Bad habits are the enemy of happiness. They can make you feel stuck, or make you do things that you don’t want to. To be happier, start right now to eliminate bad habits from your life. When you can do that, you’ll be able to make room for new, more positive habits. These are the bad habits that are making you unhappy.
Learning to Relax Can Change Your Life
- Postponing your goals. Procrastination will stop you from achieving your goals more effectively than almost any other obstacle. Instead, start now by taking even a tiny step towards a goal. Make another step tomorrow. These steps don’t need to be large, but make at least some progress every day. Making a consistent effort is key.
- Living a mediocre life. Try to step out of your comfort zone and remember that you won’t get anywhere without at least a little risk. You can’t be happy by avoiding all the painful things in life. Instead, you need to chase the things you want.
- Self-sabotaging. A pattern can easily become set in and start to disrupt your growth, your success, or your happiness. What is keeping your stuck? Find the culprit and get rid of it, whether that’s quitting drinking, or giving up negative self-talk.
- Running from your problems. Instead of trying to run away from what’s wrong in your life, start chasing after things that are right. Instead of viewing your problems as something to be ashamed of or to avoid, try to see them as a chance to learn and grow.
- Worrying about your flaws. Everybody has flaws. What makes the difference is whether you let your flaws keep you from doing what you want. Instead, accept your flaws and try to make them work for you.
- Trying to control everything. If you try to control everything, you will soon become angry and frustrated. Remember that the only thing you can control is your own reaction to what’s going on around you.
- Blaming others. Nothing good ever comes from blaming other people. The best path to happiness is to learn to be accountable for your own actions and to take responsibility for the consequence.
- Trying to be something you’re not. A lot of people want to someone other than themselves. Don’t compare yourself to anyone else, and instead learn to celebrate your own gifts and talents.
- Living in the past or the future. Live in the present so you can work out what actually makes you happy. Aim to make new memories, and make positive choices to create happiness.
- Constant complaining. Don’t take the things you have for granted, even the basics like shelter, food, and a warm bed at night. Be grateful for your health, your relationships, and anything else good in your life. If you’re tempted to complain, redirect your thoughts to things you are grateful for instead.
The best way to get and stay happy, you need to quit the habits that don’t bring any good to your life and don’t make you happy. Instead, look for what will make you happy, and healthier in mind, body, and heart.