This nutrient dense healthy raw carrot cake recipe is perfect for plant eaters and vegans out there and also those who want a decadent dessert without the guilt.
I’ve been making this for over a decade. It’s one of my favorite desserts as a plant eater and its raw, meaning it’s filled with nutrients! It’s made from carrot juice pulp, dates and raw nuts and has the best icing I’ve ever ate!
To start with you’ll need to have carrot pulp. As someone who drinks raw carrot juice daily I have an overabundance of pulp that normally gets tossed in the compost heap or trash. You can check out my post on Making Fresh Carrot Juice and what juicer I use.
- Raw Cashews (These are the exact ones I buy for quality and cost.) I always buy my cashews on Amazon because that’s the cheapest I’ve found them. If you buy in bulk this brand is a bit cheaper per lb.
- Flax Seed
- Flax seed grinder (mini coffee grinder)
- Psyllium Husk (optional)
- Dates (Medjool are the best due to softness but any type will work.)
- Juicer (BEST juicer ever. I’ve had mine for years.)
Raw Carrot Cake Printable Recipe
This can be made almost 100% raw depending on the type of ingredients you use. i.e. raw honey etc. The cashews MUST be raw and NOT roasted for the flavor to be correct. Though not necessary, it's a good idea to make the frosting ahead of time if desired and chill it.
- 2 cup raw Cashews soaked for at least 1 hour
- 2 Lemon, juiced or 2 TB bottled lemon juice
- ¾ cup Honey (raw if desired)
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup raw Walnut halves (heaping)
- 1 cup (scant) Dates ground
- ½ cup Raisins ( or more dates)
- ¼ cup Flax seed ground or chia seeds
- 5 cups Carrot pulp from juiced carrots
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon scant
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- 12 Walnut halves decoration, optional
- Soak Cashews in water for at least 1 hour
- Place walnuts, dates, raisin or more dates, flaxseed or chia seeds, nutmeg and cinnamon in food processor. Grind up.
- Place the mixture in bowl and add the carrot pulp.
- Knead well.
- Divide in half.
- Place cashews, lemon juice, honey and almond extract in food processor and blend till very smooth.
- We have doubled the ingredients to make a larger version that resembles the size of a two layer cake. The one shown is a small size, though still with two layers. You can shape it by hand or use tins to help with the shape.
- Shape one half of cake mixture on plate to form lower layer.
- Ice with frosting.
- Shape other half of cake mixture to form upper layer and place on top.
- Frost the sides and top of cake.
- Refrigerate till cold.
Step by Step Photos
The raw cashews need to soak in water for about an hour to soften them up to make the icing.
The ingredients for the icing alone are shown below. Though not required it can be helpful to make the icing ahead of time and allow it to chill in the fridge.
This shows the ingredients for the cake itself. You can grind your own flax seed if desired.
About 5 cups carrot pulp is needed for the smaller size cake. This is what is left over after juicing carrots. See our carrot juicing post here.
I drink freshly squeezed carrot juice every day so it only takes me 2 or 3 days to save up pulp in the fridge.
Place only the cake ingredients in a food processor. Grind until texture shown.
Place the ground mixture in a large mixing bowl. Add the carrot pulp and knead well.
After soaking the cashews, drain them and place them in a food processor with the icing ingredients (honey, almond extract and lemon juice)
You can use fresh squeezed or bottled lemon juice.
Blend until smooth. Set aside in the fridge to keep cold.
Taking half the “dough” you can either pat it into a cake shape or use a mold or tin.
You will be making two layers.
After creating the first layer, spread about 1/3rd the icing on top.
Carefully add the next layer on top and press down well.
If you used a pan or tin you will want to flip the cake out onto a place to finish icing. Press in any parts to pack them in tighter if needed. The cake is very moldable.
Cover the cake with the rest of the icing.
Chill before serving.
This shows a piece of the raw carrot cake from a taller double layer one.
I love this cake so much my daughter made me one for my last birthday. A little goes a LONG way with this as it’s very nutrient dense and heavy.
dont you dare be rude young lady !! respect this poor ladys recipe she hand crafted
lol! I’ll admit this is definitely not for everyone and can sound a bit “gross” for someone who doesn’t eat plant based foods much. But I swear… its DELICIOUS! I have to tell you my own mom passed two years back so it me me smile to see “mummy” sticking up for me. Ü
Your carrot cakes looks as delicious as you describe it to be!
Where is a good place to buy raw cashews economically?
I generally get my cashews on Amazon for the best price. I normally get a couple bags of this one which is 10oz (.68 an ounce i.e. $10 a lb) and a good price. https://amzn.to/2KlLgeC
They do have a larger 3 lb bag which is .56 an ounce and (about $9 a lb) but I’ve never purchased this brand: https://amzn.to/2IH4rMA
Both are organic if that’s a concern. It’s hard to find raw cashews depending on where you live and most health stores charge a fortune. Depends on where you live I’m sure but I’ve never found them cheaper than about $8 a lb. Prices will fluctuate though.
I realized I didn’t link to those in the post. I’ll correct that now!