We’ve also got a great tutorial on how to make the posh bell shown including a free download of the “ring bell for service” text! Make sure you check out our other furry friend posts such as Keepsake Puppy Paw Prints and our 5 Minute Puppy Dog Bow Tie!
Potty Bell Supplies
NOTE ABOUT HOOKS: The hook shown was purchased at Hobby Lobby. It’s used upside down from how it would normally be used. Whatever hook you use must have some type of loop that allows for you to hang your bell on and make sure it sticks out far enough to not hinder the bell. We link to one that will work below, on Amazon.
- One bell about 2″ in size Liberty Bells We purchased ours at Hobby Lobby. You can also use a large jingle bell or 2″ cow bell.
- A small wood plaque (we used a 3×5 purchased from Hobby Lobby) Similar plaques (these are a bit larger)
- Paint for plaque. We used Krylon Seaglass Satin.
- A hook that has the correct layout. (We purchased ours at Hobby Lobby.
- Command Strips to hold it
- Silver split ring or ribbon to hold the bell onto the hook.
- Clear Full Sheet Ink Jet Labels Adhesive Backed (optional)
- Poly spray (if you use paper labels)
- Ring bell for service printable below
Rather Buy One?
Bell Text in Different Sizes (pdf)
How to Potty Train Using a Bell Instruction Sheet (pdf)
Gather the basic supplies.
Paint the hook and plaque.
Attach your hook upside down to the top of the plaque.
Download and print the “Ring Bell for Service” on the paper or sheets of choice.
There are a variety of ways to place this on your plaque. You can Mod Podge it on or you can print it on ink jet clear label sheets which is what we did. Had we used a paper label we would have put a clear coat of poly over it all. I use clear spray coating.
Using Command Strips, hang your bell next to the open edge of your door. Make sure it’s at nose height for your dog.
Download our instruction sheet on how to teach your dog to use their new bell! Barnaby, shown below, learned in 3 days.