Humane Bug Catcher Supplies
- 33 oz. plastic soda bottle with straight sides
- Sturdy but thin piece of cardboard
- Craft knife
- 2 washers
- 1/2″ PVC pipe cut to about 30″ long (Cuts easily with any small hand saw)
- Small cork that fits into the end of the PVC (optional)
- Drill (if you use the cork)
- Masking tape
- Clear packing tape
- If you’d rather not make one you can always buy this one.
Though it has several steps, the humane bug catcher is very easy to make. We’ve provided some detailed photos and also a video.
CUTTING THE BOTTLE
SHAPING THE BOTTLE
MAKING THE LID
MAKING THE HANDLE
OPTIONAL CORK STEP: You will generally use these for larger bugs. If you decide to try and catch tiny ones and are concerned about them going into the tiny PVC opening you easily prevent this using a cork as follows.
ATTACHING THE STRING