Supplies for Time Capsules
- Two plastic soda bottles with straight sides as those work best.
- X-acto type knife
- Dry erase marker (optional but great for marking your bottles)
- Printable sheets below
- Packing tape
There are pages for adults and children. (pdf)
- Newspaper clippings or headlines cut out
- Small magazine
- Photos from family activities during the year.
- Family photo
- Hand print or outline
- Receipt from local grocery shopping.
- Article of clothing
- Artwork or drawings
- Money with current date.
- Music CD
- Small Inexpensive Flash Drive filled with videos and any of the above!
Measure and mark your bottles with a dry erase marker as it rubs off when you’re done. Exact measurements are not needed. Just make them the size you want them to be. Each side can be the same size. Cut your bottles and then trim with scissors if needed. Cut a 1″ to 2″ slit on the top of one. This is the bottom piece and overlapping the slits a bit allows the top piece to slide on snugly.
Gather your contents that will fit in your bottle.
Fill your bottle, rolling or folding any papers as needed.
Cut out the label you want to use and fill it out. Use packing tape to cover it completely around the bottle to seal it.
Place your time capsule in an out of the way place until the date you set to open it.