Our Simple Healthy Candy Apple Recipe is a quick fall treat that you can feel good about eating and giving to the kids. All it takes is apples, dates and nuts! The date paste you make for the apples is super easy and can be used for a variety of other things such as our Fruit Dip Recipe.
Supplies for Candy Apple Recipe
- Popsicle sticks (or small dowels cut into pieces)
- Medjool Dates
- Food Processor
- Small Apples
Apples, nuts, dates (soaking) and sticks.
Instructions for Date Paste Coating
For the coating you need to make date paste which is super simple. All you need is dates and water and a food processor.
- Remove seeds from Medjool dates. (Medjool dates are extra soft and super sweet!).
- Soak in water enough to cover them for 30 minutes up to 2 hours until extra soft.
- Drain but save the water.
- Place in food processor and blend until smooth, scraping sides of container as needed.
- You want this paste to be very thick but spreadable. You can add a tiny bit of the drained off date water but be careful to not add too much. I didn’t need to add any to mine.
Or view our Fruit Dip Recipe here with photos.
Making Your Candy Apples
Insert your sticks.
Spread on your date paste.
This will be sticky as the paste does not “set” up.
Sprinkle with chopped nuts. You could also use coconut, cacao nibs etc.
Check out the main Fruit Dip Recipe here.