Whenever I see a husband and wife’s bedroom done all girly and feminine I always feel kinda bad for the guy. (I’m making an assumption, of course, that most guys would would probably prefer to not be swaddled in pink pastels and lacy things. And if you’re those of you who do… Rock On!) Generally speaking, it seems that a room for a couple should fit both of them.
Now, Roy would let me do whatever I wanted in the bedroom. Wait… let me rephrase that. He’d let me decorate however I wanted. And though I can sometimes lean towards the frilly I try to make this room a place we can both enjoy. Below are some pointers on how to decorate for couples!
For this bedroom I really wanted a bit of a fantasy but didn’t want it to scream “Chick Bedroom!”. So I mulled it over and finally decided what I would do. (Keep in mind this is a rental home.)
- Walls: Cream (They had funky stripes going on.)
- Bedding/Furniture/Curtains/Throw Rugs: Black
- Large vinyl black tree on the wall.
- Black dragonflies on the wall in various spots.
- Quotation on the wall: “I dwell in possibility”
- Twinkle lights on the top of the bookcase.
- Fairy Sculpture, Semi-Nude
- Small Framed Art: Realistic fairies, nude
- Large framed fairy art. (Old frame spray painted.)
- Miscellaneous decor items I already had.
Below is how it all came together. It’s very unique with a bit of magic to it but not girly in anyway. (No one can argue that black is too feminine.) But I LOVE the bold contrast. I chose realistic classy fairy art, no cartoony stuff. Roy likes showing it off to people so I take that as his seal of approval.
Decorating For Couples Pointers
- Sit down and discuss what you’d both like. If your partner doesn’t really care one way or the other your in luck! However putting in touches for them anyway is always meaningful!
- Compromise. For example. I wanted fairies. I used classy black and white nude ones. Both sides covered!
- Use feminine objects but give them masculine colors. (i.e. the fairies)
- Honestly, the most important key is to care about the other person’s opinion and truly want to please them too. Which is pretty much important to any relationship!
Making a room fit two people’s style is not all that difficult it both are willing. All it takes is the desire to do so and a little planning. And maybe a nude fairy or two.
Large artwork of a sleeping fairy I ordered that ironically looks remarkably like me.
For a little help redoing your own rooms download our FREE ROOM MAKEOVER KIT!