Who doesn’t have old CDs or DVDs lying around? We’ve got a great upcycle way for our feathered friends to have yummy stuff to eat. There are two different types of feeders you can make and we personally tested both types. The birds were thrilled!
- 1 CD or DVD
- Masking Tape / Brown paint (tree feeder)
- Paint if desired.
- Rope 3/8″ or 1/2″ (tree feeder)
- Plastic cup. Shorter type
- Small bit of Washi tape
- Clear boondoggle, fishing line or anything to hang it with.(hanging feeder)
- Fake leaves (hanging feeder)
- Hot Glue
- Nail (tree feeder)
- X-acto Knife
- Bird seed
Instructions : Feeder #1
You can finish your CD however you like. Paint it or even leave it blank so it’s shiny and attracts the bird’s attention. I decided to give mine a wood like finish.
- Tear small pieces of masking tape and cover it with them, overlapping.
- Cover over with a thin layer of brown acrylic paint.
- Cut out half the bottom of your cup.
- Hot glue the cup on.
- Add rope trim.
- Drill a hole in the edge.
- Add a small strip of Washi tape over the edge of the perch area.
- Fill with bird seed and nail to a tree.
Instructions : Feeder #2
- Glue the bottom of your cup to the CD.
- Glue fake leaves or any foliage around the cup.
- Drill four holes evenly spaced around the CD.
- Attach fishing line or clear boondoggle.
- Fill with bird seed and hang in a tree!
Such lovely ideas for bird feeders. I am a bird lover and always looking for ways to attract bird s to my yard. Super cute!
Hi Nancy, thank you for sharing these lovely bird feeders, I have been trying to find some for a while now in order to attract birds to my garden. I needed to be able to put them out of my cats reach and I also have no tree, but these will be perfect to hang from my fence (it’s quite tall either side of my patio). Thanks again, I look forward to your future posts
I’m so glad you found the post helpful Joni. Thanks so much for visiting and leaving such a lovely comment. Ü
I love them both will do both in my classroom
I love to hear things like that Vanessa. Hope your kids enjoy them!
Hello beautiful! This looks so amazing. Pinned and tweeted. I hope to see you on Monday at 7pm because we love to party with you! Happy Memorial Day! Lou Lou Girls
Thanks so much!
This is super cute! I love feeding the birds, it’s a warm welcome to my garden space. I think I’ll give this project a whirl. -Carole
What a great recycling project. I could make one in a jiffy! Thanks for sharing at the #HomeMattersParty
Love these ideas! I love upcycling so this would be a perfect way to do that and help out our backyard birds. 🙂
Thanks so much Ashley!
Very creative. Great way to recycle those old CD’s. Not sure which is my favorite, I like them both. Thanks for sharing! Visiting via Thrifty Thursday.
Thanks Linda. Appreciate the comment!