To be honest, this is one of those things when I first saw it I cynically said… “A broccoli rabe sandwich? Yeah right.” Holy crap… was I wrong. This is in our families top 5 favorite meals and they are delicious! It’s a fact: I’ve never fed it to meat eaters who LOVED it.
We’re really picky about what we eat around here… meaning it has to taste great along with being healthy. This embodies both of those requirements! You can print out the recipe at the bottom of the post.
Visual Instructions for Broccoli Rabes
NOTES: We only use soy cheese. Shown below is the brand that’s our favorite. It tastes great, but keep in mind soy cheese does not melt like normal cheese. It does get very soft though and most brands tastes great. You’ll never know its not real cheese on the sandwich. You can buy it in a variety of flavors and we typically use mozzarella or even better for this recipe is the Pepper Jack kind shown. We have a vegetable steamer we use which is one of my favorite kitchen appliances. It helps maintain the nutrient content as opposed to cooking vegetables directly in water. Just pop them in and come back when they’re done!
- 2 Healthy Buns of Choice
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 TB Canola Oil
- Hot Pepper Flakes
- 2 Slices Soy Mozzarella, Provolone or Pepper Jack Cheese
- 12 oz Frozen or Fresh Broccoli
- Salt to taste
- Steam your broccoli till tender but not too soft. Heat your oil, garlic and hot pepper flakes for about 30 seconds in a pan over medium high heat. Toss in the steamed broccoli and saute for 1 minute.
- Toast the insides of your buns using a broiler until just lightly brown.
- Pile broccoli on each bun. Top with a slice of soy cheese. Place open sandwich under a broiler for a minute or two until the cheese softens.
- Top with other half of bun and serve!