Yes it’s true. You can make a creamy potato soup with absolutely no dairy whatsoever. Its a hearty, thick, chunky, soup that is totally healthy and delicious. All it takes is potatoes and some seasonings.
A big steaming bowl of this with a chunk of crusty bread on the side is perfect for a chilly winter day. (Though we eat it year round at our house.) Visual steps are below plus a printable recipe at the very bottom of this post. Give it a try and see what you think!
These are the basic steps. I made mine without broccoli though you can add that in. Please see the recipe below for all specifics.
- 2 TB Olive Oil
- 2 Onions Diced
- 3 Small Bay Leaves
- 2 Pounds Potatoes, Peeled, Sliced Thin or Small ½" to ¾" Cubes
- Broccoli florets, fresh or frozen
- Add olive oil into a large, deep pan or soup pot. Add potatoes, onions and bay leaves.
- Saute over medium heat about 10 minutes stirring frequently until the onions just start to turn light brown and a glaze builds up on the bottom of the pan. (Be careful to keep the heat low enough that the potatoes don't burn on the bottom.)
- Add in ½ tsp salt and 1 cup of water.
- Scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen the solids that have built up. Again, these solids should be light brown and not burnt.
- Add 4 cups additional water. Bring to boil, lower and simmer partially covered until the potatoes are soft, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- **IMPORTANT** Let your soup cool a good bit before placing it in the blender. Otherwise steam will build up and it can shoot out the top and scald you.
- Take ½ the soup out. In SMALL batches place in blender and blend till creamy. Add blended soup back into the pot and stir.
- Serve with crusty bread.