Yes it’s true. You can make a creamy potato soup with absolutely no dairy whatsoever. Its a hearty, thick, chunky, soup that is totally healthy and delicious. All it takes is potatoes and some seasonings.
A big steaming bowl of this with a chunk of crusty bread on the side is perfect for a chilly winter day. (Though we eat it year round at our house.) Visual steps are below plus a printable recipe at the very bottom of this post. Give it a try and see what you think!
These are the basic steps. I made mine without broccoli though you can add that in. Please see the recipe below for all specifics.
Creamy DAIRY FREE Potato Soup
- 2 TB Olive Oil
- 2 Onions Diced
- 3 Small Bay Leaves
- 2 Pounds Potatoes, Peeled, Sliced Thin or Small ½" to ¾" Cubes
- Broccoli florets, fresh or frozen
- Add olive oil into a large, deep pan or soup pot. Add potatoes, onions and bay leaves.
- Saute over medium heat about 10 minutes stirring frequently until the onions just start to turn light brown and a glaze builds up on the bottom of the pan. (Be careful to keep the heat low enough that the potatoes don't burn on the bottom.)
- Add in ½ tsp salt and 1 cup of water.
- Scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen the solids that have built up. Again, these solids should be light brown and not burnt.
- Add 4 cups additional water. Bring to boil, lower and simmer partially covered until the potatoes are soft, 20 to 30 minutes.
OPTIONAL: If using broccoli add it into the pot when there is 10 minutes left to cook.
- Remove the bay leaves and season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
TO MAKE IT CREAMY
- **IMPORTANT** Let your soup cool a good bit before placing it in the blender. Otherwise steam will build up and it can shoot out the top and scald you.
- Take ½ the soup out. In SMALL batches place in blender and blend till creamy. Add blended soup back into the pot and stir.
- Serve with crusty bread.
There is nothing like a great bowl of potato soup, this looks very good! Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing your awesome talent with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Thanks so much Miz Helen. Appreciate you stopping by and commenting!
I love potato soup and dairy does not bother me but how nice to have a recipe where it is not needed as well!
This looks and sounds delicious!
Thanks Deb! Appreciate you stopping by!
I had no idea that you could make it without dairy. Good to know and it looks delish. Thanks for linking up on Oh My Heartsie Girls WW.
Thanks so much for stopping by Lysa!