This is the best chili ever and you won’t miss the meat at all! It’s thick and bursting with flavor. We’ve made this recipe in our home for over a decade now and it’s been a favorite of family and visitors. Great reheated too!
The list of ingredients looks ominous but its mainly several cans of beans and some veggies chopped. Then seasonings. It takes about 10 minutes to prepare and then another 15 or so to heat so it’s a very quick meal that tastes like you spend a lot longer cooking it! The secret to it’s thickness? A can of refried beans.
Saute the chopped veggies and garlic in a small amount of healthy oil (or veggie broth).
Saute 3 to 5 minutes.
Add in everything else except the refried beans and heat thoroughly.
Add refried beans which make it nice and thick.
Stir and simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
Serve plain or with some onions, tomatoes or soy cheese as topping.
- 1 medium Onion - Yellow chopped
- 1 large Bell pepper - red chopped
- 1 large Bell pepper chopped
- 1 large Jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 cloves Garlic crushed or chopped
- 1 cup Vegetable stock
- 1 32 oz Crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (14 oz) Black beans
- 2 cans (14 oz) Kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Cayenne Hot Pepper Sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Coarse Salt
- 1 cup Re-fried beans - vegetarian
- 8 ounces Soy cheese shredded
- 1 bunch Scallions chopped
- 3 Plum tomatoes diced
- Heat 2 TB oil in deep pot over medium heat.
- Combine the following:
- Red bell pepper
- Green bell pepper
- Jalapeno pepper (optional)
- Sauté 3-5 minutes.
- Vegetable stock (or beef)
- Crushed tomatoes
- Black beans
- Kidney beans
- Cayenne Hot Pepper Sauce (optional)
- Heat through.
- Add in refried beans to thicken.
- Simmer 5-10 minutes.
- Serve in bowls adding toppings if desired.