This one dish meal qualifies as comfort food in my book. It’s become another favorite in our house and one I serve to meat eaters who also love it. It’s hot and savory and very filling. The flavor is wonderful! And of course, its healthy.
Please! Don’t let the TVP scare you off. It’s a totally natural plant based food that has become fairly easy to purchase online or at grocery stores. It’s also great for food storage. It’s a very healthy and delicious alternative to meat and is incredibly high in fiber and protein. You’ll want the TVP granules for this recipe. All you do is soak it for 10 minutes and it’s ready to use!
I use Vegenaise for all my mayonnaise needs. It tastes wonderful and is non-dairy. You can find it in the cold section of any store that carries healthier options. I also always keep vegetable bouillon on hand for sauteing and soaking my TVP in, though it is optional.
- About 5 medium russet or red potatoes cut in cubes to makes mashed potatoes.
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise (Vegenaise)
- 1 cup soy, rice or almond milk
- 1 good pinch cayenne
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 3 to 4 stalks celery chopped
- 1¾ cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1 med yellow onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ cup tvp granules
- 1 TB oil or vegetable broth for sauteing
- Vegetable bouillon OPTIONAL (for soaking TVP and sautéing veggies)
- Soy cheddar cheese OPTIONAL
- TIMING FOR MULTI-TASKERS Start potatoes boiling, After 5 min or so start veggies sauteing and start soaking the TVP as explained below. Then preheat your oven to 400.
- Boil potatoes in water with 1 tsp salt until tender for mashing. (10 to 20 minutes typically)
- Place soy milk and vegan mayo in bowl. Dump in cooked potatoes. Mash well.
- Add salt, pepper and cayenne. Mix.
- Place ½ cup TVP in larger bowl (it swells) and cover with 1 cup hot water. Add vegetable bouillon to water if desired. Let sit for 10 min. Drain extra water if there is any left.
- Saute peas, carrots onions, tomato and celery in vegetable bouillon or oil until softened, about 10 min.
- Add garlic and ½ tsp salt to taste.
- Stir in the reconstituted TVP thoroughly.
- Place veggie TVP mixture in bottom of 9 x 9 inch glass baking dish.
- Pack it down a bit so its easier to spread the mashed potatoes on top without pulling up the bottom mixture.
- Carefully spread the mashed potatoes on top evenly in a nice thick layer.
- Top with soy cheese at this point if desired though it's optional.