Dressers in the living room? Definitely, at least according to my daughter Jennifer. I’ve had these cheap dressers in storage for a while. They are the kind you put together and can’t hold anything heavier than a few pairs of socks or the bottoms fall out. I never dreamed of using them in my makeover. As it turns out they are one of my favorite pieces. Per Jenny’s direction I pulled them out of storage and for next to nothing turned them into two unique furniture pieces. My only cost was the spray paint.
I also have a Silhouette Portrait Cutting Machine which I love more than words can say. It has saved me its initial cost quickly as I was buying quotes and things for my walls. Now I can make them for pennies! Though I used a quote cut out with my machine on my dressers you could hand paint quotes or designs if you have that skill, which I do not, or use any designs you like.
Steps for Dresser Makeover
1. Removed the knobs on the drawers.
2. Spray painted three coats on drawer fronts, allowing to dry in between.
3. Attached knobs.
4. Decided on a quote and did some measuring and planning to decide how to lay it out.
5. Cut out my quote on my Silhouette Portrait. I had no sticky backed vinyl the right color so I used cardstock.
6. Lightly spray glued the the back of my quote letters and placed on the drawers.
7. Used Mod Podge to paint over the front. This gave it a sheen and held the letters on.
NOTES: There are other steps you can add in depending on your dresser and how resilient you want the paint such as sanding and priming. These pieces were mainly for aesthetic purposes so I just spray painted them and used the Mod Podge as the finish.
WHIMSICAL LIVING ROOM POST INDEX
Pingback: Classy Living Room Ideas on a Budget
I love your living room makeover and you blog. You have so much personality …not cookie cutter. I am so sick of white living rooms with white couches etc. Great job.
Why thank you so much Terry! What a kind thing to say. Than you for visiting and taking the time to comment. Ü