This quick dessert dish makes my mouth water, which is a prerequisite for anything I eat. It’s comprised of apples, grains and a few spices with some healthy natural sweeter. Feel free to experiment with things you might like to add such as nuts if you like your topping crunchier. You can choose a variety of sweeteners, however after experimenting I chose a little Xylitol in the dry topping mixture and then I add Agave Nectar over it before cooking in the microwave. You could also use honey or pure maple syrup. It only takes 10 minutes to cook in the microwave!
My Favorite Apple Tool
NOTES: Because I keep grains on hand I quickly made a little flour from one of them for my dessert using a small electric coffee grinder that you see in the photos below. I also use it to grind flax seed which works in the recipe as well. I put mine on a paper plate in the microwave for 10 minutes. It can of course be baked in an oven though you’d have to test the time and temp. Two normal apples makes a serving for me but I like bigger servings. Adjust amounts of sweetener to taste. I try to use as little as possible while still keeping it sweet enough for my taste buds. It would also be delicious with some rice or soy milk over the hot dessert when it’s finished!
- 2 Apples
- ¼ cup oats (regular or quick cook)
- ¼ tsp All Spice
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 1 TB any whole grain flour or ground flax seed
- 1 TB Xylitol sweetener if desired
- 2-4 tb Agave Nectar, Honey or Pure Maple Syrup
- Peel, core and slice your apples into ¼ to ⅓ inch slices.
- Place on paper plate or baking dish of choice.
- Mix oats, spices and salt and the whole grain flour along with Xylitol.
- Sprinkle dry mixture over apples or toss with them.
- Drizzle Agave Nectar over the top which may then be tossed gently in. The more you put the gooier it will be. But I try to limit it to 3 or 4 TB.
- Place in microwave on high for 4 minutes give or take (Different microwaves vary so test the apples for tenderness.)
- Makes two small or one nice sized serving!