When I really enjoy a recipe I will literally have it over and over again, sometimes for weeks. This is one of those recipes. It’s super simple and creamy smooth without cream! It’s basically canned tomatoes and some spices. It uses bread for thickening. I use French. This can be completely vegan and zero fat depending on the type of bread you use. It’s delicious and takes 10 minutes to make!
Creamy Tomato Soup
Creamy fat free, vegan and delicious! (Though your bread might have a little dairy and fat in it.)
- 2 TB Water or Veg broth for sauteeing
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1 small onion, finely sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 thick slices French bread, crusts removed, torn into rough ½-inch pieces (use bread with no dairy if you want a completely vegan soup)
- 2 (28-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 c water
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Heat water or veggie broth in a large saucepan over medium high heat until shimmering. Add garlic, onions, oregano, and red pepper flakes.
- Cook, stirring frequently until onions are softened but not browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add bread and tomatoes and the 2 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes.
- (I season with salt at this point though you can do it at the end.)
!READ BEFORE NEXT STEP!!
- ***LET THE SOUP COOL BEFORE BLENDING. IF YOU DON'T THEN BLEND IN TINY AMOUNTS. THE STEAM FROM THE HOT SOUP CAN CAUSE IT TO BURST THE LID OPEN FROM PRESSURE. VERY UNSAFE WITH HOT SOUP! I ALWAYS LEAVE A CRACK IN MY LID IF THE SOUP IS HOT AND THEN PLACE A TOWEL OVER IT JUST IN CASE. THEN I BLEND IN SMALL AMOUNTS! IT'S BEST TO LET IT COOL TOTALLY FIRST***
- Blend soup: Divide the soup into at least thirds and blend each part in the blender till smooth.
- Season soup to taste with salt and pepper if you have not already.
- Serve with chunks of French bread for dipping