A yard sale is a great way to declutter and make some extra cash. Having participated in and attended more than my fair share of them through the years, I’ve created a printable kit (actually 5 of them!) that has a detailed list of great pointers and an outline to assure your success. The kit is filled with useful printables of all types including some you probably wouldn’t think of such as a “Testing Station”. There’s also an inventory sheet to keep track of what sells.
So grab the kit of your choice (we have five colors) and start planning your most awesomely successful yard sale ever! To help you gather your items, check out our 3 Box Rule Dejunking article. It will take the pain out of cleaning out!
Roy smiling at a yard sale we helped my parents set up last year.
Our Own Yard Sale, June 2016
I printed out a copy of the checklist and signs from the kits below.
Rather than a money box I opted for a sectioned pouch that I wore at all times.
We put our signs up the morning of, after we had the yard sale set up.
Ready to go!
Our granddaughter sold lemonade and cookies for $25.
Yard Sale Supplies
All of these items are listed in our downloadable kit.
- Price stickers. We used these and they make pricing easy!
- Money Box We’ve actually used a shoe box in years past. Whatever you use, make sure it’s in someone’s possession at all times.
- Batteries for items. (You can use cheap ones, just make sure battery operated items are equipped.)
- Clear zip lock bags to hold parts of small items.
- Extension Cord and Power Strip (For a testing table.)
- Tables (borrow as many as you can)
- Lots of change, bills and coins.
- Saved grocery bags (to put buyer’s items in.)
- Soft music (Optional. See checklist)
- Refreshments, drinks or items for a very inexpensive bake sale. (Optional. See checklist.)
- Full Yard Sale Kit (In case you’d rather not make your own signs. We strongly suggest you still print our check list. )
Yard Sale Kit & Checklist Download
Yard Sale Outline
This info is in our kit as a printable check list.
Interesting Yard Sale Stats
|Garage Sale Statistics|
|Average number of yard sales each week in the US||165,000|
|Average number of people who purchase something at a yard sale each week||690,000|
|Average number of yard sales listed on Craigslist each week||95,000|
|Average number of items sold at yard sales each week||4,967,500|
|Total US weekly revenue from yard sales||$4,222,375|
|Best time to start a yard sale||7:00 am|
|Best day to hold a yard sale||Saturday|
|3 Least liked yard sale items: Stuffed Animals, Televisions, Magazines|
|3 Best loved yard sale items: Tools, Collectibles, Sports Equipment|
|Those who expect to negotiate the price||42%|
|Those who leave within 2 minutes if they find nothing interesting.||97%|
|Average profit margin when items purchased are resold on eBay||462 %|
|Average Cost Per Item|
|Entertainment (DVD, CD, Books, Games)||$0.47|
|Household goods, (dishes, office supplies)||$0.57|
|Yard items (plants, trimmers, mower)||$2.37|